You can make an iced matcha latte in two minutes! Three minutes if you make it hot. I can't think of a better way to get matcha tea benefits. Simply delicious!
Love, love, love matcha!
I drink matcha almost every single day. Matcha is a finely powdered green tea unique from every other tea. These days you don't need to be a Buddhist monk to deftly blend matcha with a bamboo whisk. I will show you how to make a matcha latte. This beautifully blended drink recipe makes an amazing matcha green tea latte.
Most people think you have to mix matcha with hot water. But if you have prepared your matcha properly prior to mixing you can easily blend matcha powder in cold water.
To prepare the green tea powder, sift the powder through a sieve before blending. This will reduce clumping and allow for easy cold brew blending.
To make this process even quicker, I take the entire container of green tea powder when I first purchase it and push it through a fine sieve with a spoon. Then I return the matcha powder back to the original container and keep it tightly sealed and ready for each use.
Two simple ingredients create this delicious green tea latte. Matcha comes in three main grades; ceremonial, premium and culinary. I like to use ceremonial grade matcha for my beverages.
Grades of Matcha
The best ceremonial grade matcha is made from the leaf that is shaded from sunlight for the last few weeks before harvest. This increases the chlorophyll, theanine, and umami flavors, producing a bright green color.
Ceremonial grade green tea powder is for drinking. Premium grade matcha is used for mixing in beverages. Culinary grade green tea powder matcha is for baking and cooking.
Sometimes you'll see the culinary grades broken down into subcategories. Stick with premium or cafe grades.
- premium - best matcha powder for lattes
- cafe - for baking and cooking
- ingredient - older leaves
- kitchen - not as fine
- classic - common
Pro tip: Always buy Japanese matcha powder.
The most important thing to remember when you buy matcha powder is to buy Japanese matcha green tea powder. Even though other countries make matcha, Japanese matcha is the best quality.
How to Make a Matcha Latte
To make this ridiculously easy iced matcha green tea latte you will need matcha (of course) and milk. I like to use the Pacific Foods Almond Milk because it's organic and the vanilla almond milk adds a really nice flavor. But you can use any kind of milk in your latte including almond, soy, rice or cow.
For the milk frother, I use the Aerolatte brand. It works beautifully! It has just enough power to froth milk for a latte or blend matcha to drink without blowing milk and matcha all over the place.
To traditionally blend matcha, you can use a Japanese bamboo whisk or chasen to blend and froth your matcha. Whisk vigorously in a zig-zag motion until the tea is frothy.
If you make many lattes as I do, you might want to invest in an electric milk frother. This Nespresso milk frother is a game-changer! It heats and froths the milk - even almond milk - like a dream. For cold summer lattes, turn off the heat. It's a one-button push and done.
An iced matcha latte is perfectly refreshing for enjoying on a warm summer day. And better than Starbucks green tea latte any day!
Matcha Latte Recipe
Matcha Green Tea Latte
- Aerolatte frother
- 1 tsp matcha green tea powder
- 8 ounces vanilla almond milk
- 1 teaspoon honey optional
- Add matcha powder to glass or mug.
- Add 2 ounces of milk to glass. Use cold or warmed milk of your choice.
- Mix matcha into paste with a spoon.
- Pour the remaining 6 ounces of milk into the glass and froth together.
- Whisk together with milk frother until matcha powder is completely incorporated.
- Add ice or top with frothed milk. Enjoy.
- How to Make Matcha Tea Without a Whisk
- Matcha Green Tea Breakfast Drink
- Espresso Green Tea Latte
- What Is Matcha Green Tea?
- A Simple Guide To Japanese Green Tea
- The Best Ceremonial Grade Matcha
- 10 Best Online Tea Shops
Matcha Green Tea Benefits
Matcha tea benefits are many because you are consuming the entire leaf itself. Matcha tea powder is made by grinding the tea leaf between stones until it is a fine green tea powder.
- Contains EGCG or Epigallocatechin gallate is a catechin – a form of antioxidant.
- High in antioxidants.
- EGCG in matcha is three times higher than any other green tea.
- Thirty times more Vitamin C than regular green tea.
- Catechins turn fat into energy.
What are antioxidants?
Antioxidants are chemical compounds that prevent aging and chronic disease. They are the body’s defense agents. The more you have, the better equipped your body is to ward off infections and disease. source
Where to Buy Matcha Tea
My favorite places to buy matcha green tea powder online are:
- Material Matcha has some of the very finest Uji matcha from Japan.
- The Tea Spot offers organic and ceremonial grade matcha from Japan.
- Adagio: I like their ceremonial grade matcha. They have a variety of traditional and flavored matcha.
- Matcha Source: Offers three grades of Japanese matcha for all your matcha needs. If you like cooking with match this is a great source for kitchen grade matcha.
- Japanese Green Tea: Their Japanese Authentic Ceremonial Matcha was a 2018 Global Tea Champion. Use CODE: BETTER
Of course, the best matcha green tea latte is the one you make at home! Enjoy.
New To Tea? START HERE >>